Thursday, October 13, 2011

Princess BATMAN 12

If you're gonna be Batman-like, you have to spend some time striking poses on top of a building, preferably in the dark. So here's the Princess on top of her castle.


Today's scene was supposed to be an action scene. But I ended up going out last night (*gasp* out of the studio!) My wife took me to hear Barry Lopez, the National Book Award-winning author. I brought along some paper (on a clipboard. I'm not a sketchbook guy. I'm a clipboard guy.) I listened and drew this night scene of the Princess watching over her domain.

I took the drawing and laid a digital layer over it (for the grays and yellows) and here she is. It's fun to do a different style. I haven't drawn on paper for months!

12 comments:

Ben Clanton said...

Really like this . . . especially what traditionally rendering it added to the piece. Awesome!

Opaleyz said...

:ditto: to Ben's comment--I really like this style, and the subjects too. And I loved seeing the castle :)

Chris said...

I love this one. The lighting is great and the mood is perfect. y favorite PB so far.

Helene said...

Very cool, the sketchiness and shadow makes it perfect for the Batman side of the Princess. Love!

Katya said...

This totally reminds me of Vin in the Mistborn books.

shannon hale said...

Wow, this is really, really cool. The mood is wonderful. I'll show it to my little girl later. I'm curious what she'll think. I know my son will think it's cool.

And I'm so jealous that you can sketch while listening to people talk. I need to take up knitting. Sometimes I get bored...

edith said...

Ditto on the Vin comment. I already thought so. I think it may be time to ditch the Batman(tm) half of this princess and let her have her own identity. How 'bout Princess Penumbra?

Nathan said...

Trust me, I would have been out in two seconds if I didn't have something to work on. Barry Lopez is a fascinating dude, but his presentation voice is...shall we say...sooooothing.

edith said...

P.S. I think the Million Billion bunnies are brilliant. And terrifying.

Nathan said...

Princess Penumbra!? Wow! That's an epic name, Edith! So dark!

Mike A said...

Definitely the best one yet. Love it!

Gretchen Alice said...

Look, it's a real-life Princess Batman!
http://gretchenalice.tumblr.com/post/12169088046/donkeysalright-batman-princess-its-a