Friday, January 29, 2010

MEGA PROJECT Master Plan!


That's right gang, I'm going to write a book a day in February! I won't be posting the full manuscripts, but I will be posting the title, cover sketch and synopsis for each book. So it's like NaNoWriMo times TWENTY EIGHT!

This isn't my idea, there is a company, like NaNoWriMo, hosting this crazy event. In fact, if you want to play along at home, you can join here, it's free--today's the final day to join! They have some handy tracking tools, as well as support for picture book writers.

I have no clue how this will turn out. I may have HORRIBLE ideas some days (maybe most days) but I'm confident that something will turn up, you write 28 picture books, at least one should have potential, right?

To give the marathon a narrative thread, Yellowbelly and I will be going on an epic quest, into the nightmare landscape of picture book publishing itself. February is going to be pretty heavy duty. Better rest up.

13 comments:

Juliana said...

Wowsuh, good luck!

edith said...

OOH! I wasn't brave enough to get in on the Nonowrimo, but I might just be in for this. Not the illustrating, though. Can I just write the story?

Anne said...

What no ninja's!

Debbie Barr said...

DANG. That sounds hard. But you can do it! (I, on the other hand, will simply sit back and watch).

Nathan said...

Yes, Edith, I should have explained better. The Picture Book Marathon proper is strictly for writing. I'm adding the cover art for kicks (and so we'll have something to look at on the website.)

victoria said...

I'm in. (oh, I'm scared.)

DaNae said...

Oh for heaven’s sake, who gave your gene pool the high achiever chromosome? (BTW your little relation I have here at my school is destined to be the youngest female President of the World Federation.)

Also BTW, I would be even more impressed if you hadn’t picked the shortest month. Couldn't cut the 2 or 3 extra days huh?

Another BTW – I like the headband, should be soaking up lots of sweat.

Je Reve said...

I can't wait!

Myrna Foster said...

This doesn't have anything to do with that publishing class you're taking at BYU, does it?

Good luck!

Nathan said...

Oh, I wasn't in that class--I was doing an illustration presentation for the class. I took Rick's class at BYU a decade ago, but they wouldn't let me in as a student these days.

And no, I'm doing this marathon on my own, for the thrill of it.

Anonymous said...

Weekends too? Yay!

Myrna Foster said...

Ah, you were teaching. You might be surprised. They let all kinds of riffraff in during Spring and Summer terms. ;) At least they did when I lived up there.

shannon hale said...

Okay, so I challenge you to write a book about a cabbage. The children's book world is sadly lacking in books starring the humble cabbage.